Alice in Chains: September

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rectifier
Astral Realm

Alice in Chains: September

Post by Rectifier »

As some of you might know (doubt it), I am somewhat of a Alice in Chains fan [AIC from now on]. Anyways, AIC has not released any new material for 14 years due to their lead singer Layne Staley having drug addiction problems, which eventually lead to his death in 2002. After his death, the other three surviving members decided to revive the band, which they didn't want to do while Layne was having his problems. Eerily enough, Layne predicted his own death by drug addiction, as shown in the lyrics in several AIC songs. Regardless, the other three members found a new singer named William DuVall who could fit the same style as Layne, but add his own unique voice to the band.

I've been building this up to announce that AIC will be releasing a completely new album this September.

For any fans:
Spoiler! :
DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE, YOU HAVE TO LIVE TO LISTEN TO IT!
Normally I would just be patient and post a topic when the date comes closer to September. However, I have heard multiple reports through both word of mouth and on different radio stations that this new album will be some of the best music to be released in TEN years for the entire rock industry. Cantrell, the main composer of the music has stated that the album will contain both their unique grungy rock and acoustic sounds, which should appeal to every type of AIC fan.

So both fans and soon-to-be fans of AIC, prepare for September, and rock on.

And if I remember, I will probably post linkage to the album in the Song Recommendations thread after it is released.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Alice in Chains: September

Post by ainsoph9 »

Rock on! I look forward to the new stuff. I just hope that William DuVall's voice will not be like Tarja Turunen of Nightwish getting replaced by Anette Olzon. Sometimes, you simply cannot just replace the original musician in a band because of how their presence defines the rest of the band.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Black Gives Way To Blue HAS OFFICIALLY RELEASED!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sweet! I will have to get that soon! I look forward to listening to it.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

lol i thought you were some spammer and i wanted to smash you.

anyway not interest. not my cup of tea

baka baka baka
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

Hmm... Doesn't seem too nice to me though, even though I listened to it. But I can't really say for sure, because the genre itself isn't my cup of tea anyways...

Still, for an album they released in 14 YEARS, it's not bad- their skills haven't got too rusty, which is thankful.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

So I've listened to the new album a few times since release.

Some points I'd like to make:

1. Definitely sounds like Alice in Chains.

2. Definitely has at least 2 or 3 songs that any rock fan should enjoy.

3. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Layne hadn't died.

All in all, probably the best single for most people is A Looking in View *contains nudity and odds are it will get taken down later*

For Alice in Chains fans, the album is a 9 or a 10 out of 10, simply due to the fact that this is the first new material from the band in over 14 years. Not only do the singles sound great, but some of the more acoustic tracks are simply awesome. Finally, AIC hasn't changed their style while managing to add a new edge to their music, not an easy task for any band, it simply reinforces their songwriting talents and is a great experience for any new material they may want to create later.

For more mainstream listeners, Black Gives Way to Blue is closer to a 7 out of 10, because this is still great music even if you dislike the genre.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

i assume it doesn't sound like killers or green day. sorry for my poor generic taste. well a more specific taste would be MAE

i do like queens, Beatles, u2 and coldplay.

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

You've probably heard Alice in Chains on the radio or guitar hero and just don't know it.

Ex:

Grind

Them Bones

Man in the Box

Rooster
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I bought the new album last week and finally finished listening to it today. I think that there are definitely some good songs on it with a new edge but the same old Alice in Chains sound. I just have to ask, "Why Elton John? Why?!" though. I give the album an 8/10.

Return to “Music & Culture”