Japanese

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Japanese

Post by Fushichou »

This question is more directed to any translator out there, but anyone please give me suggestions.

I am learning Japanese. AREN'T I SPECIAL?!

Anyway, I am looking for any good books out there that would help me with this. I am just starting, so I know very little.

So, please reply with any books that you think would help!

Have a nice Christmas...in July
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Japanese

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Fh14ism wrote:I am learning Japanese. AREN'T I SPECIAL?!
You can learn Japanese in school. This gives you a teacher. And 99% of the time a teacher is better, no matter how crappy the teacher. Also, how does that make you special . . . . .

Oh yea. The first two sentences was basically saying that other people take Japanese too . . . .
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Not to mention having a teacher forces you (if it's a good teacher) to actually do work.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

uh yeah....
Those dont exist in kentucky.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Please excuse Shoes, he doesn't understand sarcasm very well and have terrible social skills. :?

I honestly don't have any suggestions on specific books, I just picked up 2 different ones and have been reading both. I'd just say look through some at the book store and the one that you can follow the easiest is probably the one you should go with. Good luck bro. 8)
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

thank you for understanding the sarcasm...really.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

hoppingclogs fails again.

Anyways, my suggestion is to get a japanese book that is also translated in english, like a novel or a manga. get both the japanese version and the english version that way as you're learning japanese you can practice with the japanese version and see how bad the translators are(I want my desu back!)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

For starters, you might want to get an actual textbook. The one my school uses is called Yookoso! An Introduction to Contemporary Japanese by Yasuhiko Tohsaku (yes, I know that the name is phonetically incorrect). Also, go to your local bookstore and get a kanji dictionary and a Japanese dictionary. You will need both later on down the line. Tuttle Publishing makes a lot of good Japanese books. I suggest going to their website. Also, watch a lot of anime in sub. Listen to Japanese music. Do everything, young grasshopper, until you become the pebble of Japanese culture. Until then, gambatte (lit. Work hard, but usually translated as good luck)!
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

ainsoph you have had the best response yet.....

I LOVE YOU :shock:

Jk.

Anyway, I basically have to use books because of the pure fact that even though toyota is in Kentucky, there are seemingly no Japanese teachers. I hope to God I find someone soon.
cloyster
Astral Realm

Post by cloyster »

I too am now learning japanese..

I have a private teacher, and it really helps.

Try reading some book with japanese and translation, also watch many fansubbed anime, cause it really helps with conversation.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

of all places...my topic was moved to the music forum.....?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

It's considered a topic about culture I guess
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

I also agree that you should try and get into a Japanese class/get a tutor, unless you can really make yourself study daily on your own. Me tried self-study, and...
Let's just say I've been enlightened to get up and go to a class. :P
Things I suggest:
-Japanese for Dummies (great for grammer and culture, worthless for kana and kanji. The whole thing's written in romaji. :? )
-A good combo hiragana/katakana workbook (I say combo because it'll probably save money, but if you see buying two different books for hiragana and katakana necessary, go for it :wink: )
-A kanji dictionary (preferably not a kanji workbook)
-Anime fansubs/an infinitely unsatisfiable hunger for Japanese songs (I use these two as a sort of "virtual immersion". [not really for Japanese life, but for modern Japanese language] If you can't stand Japanese music, you-are-screwed. Simple as that. :wink: )
-Genki: An Intergrated Course in Elementary Japanese Vol. 1 (works best in a classroom enviroment. It can be used for self-study, but the book is kinda weird [for one, it starts you off learning Japanese with known subjects already dropped. Thankfully I was aware of and slightly introduced to subject-dropping in Japanese, so I wasn't left completely out there. But for someone who doesn't know about it, I highly recommend something like Japanese for Dummies or something even easier instead]. It'll be nice to have a teacher to come to about this book's *cough*problems*cough* .)
-Google Toolbar: WordTranslator (you hover over an English word, and it translates it. Kinda annoying 'cause it'll give you 5+ stroke kanji and no furigana more than half of the time. It's still cool, though. :wink: )
-Rikai-chan is pretty much the good twin of WordTranslator. It translates kanji, kanji combinations, and hiragana grammatical sequences into English. The only thing is that it takes OMG FOREVER! to load.
ファイト、だよ! When you learn Japanese, you'll get to play all the H-games you want! (And you can be promoted to Baka-Tsuki translator and get your name colored purple, another good goal, yup, yup!)
Last edited by Hiiragi Kagami on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

I like the music, but I don't really know very many artists except gackt or something...
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

lol Gackt.

Just get all of Kugimiya Rie's character CDs off of Nipponsei. Good stuff, cute voice.

Return to “Music & Culture”