Shanghai Expo

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Shanghai Expo

Post by b0mb3r »

So guys if you notice my lack of posting is due to traveling. My folks were invited by the gov't in China and I got dragged along. Basically they go to these small conference on the usual subject of improving ties between Taiwan and China. The first meet was in Macau, the second meet was in Xiamen, and the last meet in Shanghai. So what do I do beside attend these boring meets? Went bungie jumping in Macau and swam in Xiamen where I stayed at five star hotels! now I'm exploring expo the next few days. g2g stupid cafe is hording my time. cya

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Shanghai Expo

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Did you visit the Japan Pavilion?

They've got some Lucky Star stuff for exhibition, you know? Google it and you'll find some blog reports on it. I think I remember Sankaku mentioned it as well.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Did you visit the Japan Pavilion?

They've got some Lucky Star stuff for exhibition, you know? Google it and you'll find some blog reports on it. I think I remember Sankaku mentioned it as well.
I'll will tell you personally I did not find any of that in that pavilion. The theme of this world's expo is green energy so basically each pavilion are trying to "sell" you their green message. I will explain in detaIL when I go back to the states.

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote:Did you visit the Japan Pavilion?

I'll will tell you personally I did not find any of that in that pavilion. The theme of this world's expo is green energy so basically each pavilion are trying to "sell" you their green message. I will explain in detaIL when I go back to the states.
Now that's strange. Maybe it got hyped so much that they decided not to bring it to Shanghai after all. Pity.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Well Shanghai Expo was a bit of disappointment. After waiting 4 hours for the Japan Expo we got “three shows”. The 1st is just a short museum of ancient japan and a small glimpse of technology like green cars and a robot maid thing. The 2nd show was in a huge mock forest room where at the end there is a stage with three super huge Panasonic tvs. They showed some doc about an almost-extinct bird. After the doc they show that the tv have wii like function where it acts as a computer and use motion hand movement for command. The presenters show off this weird odd white sleek camera by kanon that apparently takes picture and send them onto the huge tvs. I’m not very good describing this since my memory foggy and the presentation was a bit weird.

And it was cheesy when they showed off a short video of Japanese actors using these new technology. Old man painter on a advanced wheelchair chasing a bright star which is the bird they shown early from the doc. Grandma with her grandkid, a clumsy stupid helper and ASIMO the robot, reminds me of a reverse harem. Big tv does have a skype like thing and such. They ended the thing with ASIMO himself playing a violin. The third and last show was some Japanese singing and a animation projected in the back talking about how to save the world. Again cheesy with the green energy theme. So as I walk out I was like that’s it? Nothing more?

Maybe I had high expectation from reading the world’s fair as a kid but I felt cheated. I was expecting some like a car show where each country was showing off their latest gig and techs. Apparently Japan is techinally the best in that field. The rest?

North Korea is a stupid small museum, so was Ukraine, Iceland had a video installation where it project five images of montage of its country, Taiwan just have this huge ball thing where inside it projects a poor resolution 4-min montage at all 720 degree, etc.

I feel sorry and lucky that I waited 4.5 hours for Saudi Arabia while one friend waited 8 hours the other 10 hours. It is considered the best one in the whole expo. What do I get? Standing on a conveyer belt in the dark seeing another video montage of its country and later this huge round interior where it projects video overlooking the land of Saudi Arabia, as if you are flying over it. This all ended in 10 mins.

This is what burns me. Most of these pavilions are video installtion with their god damn montages. The technology where is it? Damn I should have been to E3 expo instead.

The best ones I’ve seen was USA. Yes it has video montage but at least it’s good one. They give you the America spirit hope feeling, like we can make a difference feeling in save the world the green way. And a short cool movie.

My absolute favorite was Urbanian. Is a study about people living in urban environment. This was the most artist showing I’ve seen here. Luckliy I already did an art project on this study. Is called accumulative collective. Basically you get the same material and just pile them up into something. What I saw was towers of file cabinet, beer baskets, carbon boxes that look like sea shacks, millions of books, etc. It’s basically symbolize the human population and giving you a visual look.

I thought Shanghai was the last stop since the last meeting is over at the end of my two weeks trips. Instead my parents said we’re going to Guilin. I was like wtf? It added another week of my time in China that I find undesirable. The only reason we’re going there is to look at a hot spring resort in the countryside. I was a bit pissed at this unforeseen schedule. What worst at the first night I was pickpocketed. What did I lose? My camera. I lost over 1300 pictures I took over this “vacation”. My pictures from Macco, Xiamen, and Shanghais are gone. My heart felt like someone deleted my game files except hundred times worst. I felt that I was at the end of my quest, the safe zone only to find a bonus quest out of nowhere making me lost my equipment. If I didn’t have to stay an extra week in China I could have got my picture safely transmitted to my computer. Now I know what Wolverine felt like when his memories are taken. I want to go Weapon X on those f-cking pickpocketers cause they did one of the worst offense to me: my loss of memories. This trip I suffered a lot. Food allergy, heat strokes, huge mosquito bites, many rude china people, etc. I tolerated a lot but this camera thing just made my snap. The rest of the trip I was bitter, sad, angry, and heartbroken. The hot spring resort doesn’t even look like a Love Hina hot spring. It was rundown and everything. I finally convinced my folks to not buy it and we went back to the states.

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

b0mb3r wrote: The best ones I’ve seen was USA. Yes it has video montage but at least it’s good one. They give you the America spirit hope feeling, like we can make a difference feeling in save the world the green way. And a short cool movie.
I would have laughed about that, because the USA are one of the worst industrial nations regarding this matter.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Music & Culture”