The World Ends With You

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

The World Ends With You

Post by Umiman »

Ahh, innovation. I love it. Especially since almost everything coming out of Japan seems to either be yet another reason for people to suspect the entire population of that country to be sexual deviants or another RTS-RPG-hybrid-thing. Then Squaresoft goes, "fukital, let's make something that isn't Final Fantasy CVXII"

Then we get this awesomesauce weird thing called "The World Ends With You" aka "It's a Wonderful World". It's so weird. Imagine playing two fighting games at the same time on different screens where what happens on one screen can affect the other and you need to synchronize them to match each other's rhythm. It's damn weird. Now imagine those two fighting games having completely different controls and playstyles. Proverbially insane. Now, imagine you having to change your controls and fighting style every few minutes.Woo....

It's hard to learn this game, as illustrated above. But it really is good. The story is fresh, the art is very nice. The music is a "if you like it, then you'll like it" kinda thing (I like it). The game is quite open, and it lets you play how often you like and how you like. The combat is new and never-done-before. Even the setting is very fresh (modern day Shibuya). It's really quite a new subgenre. I highly recommend you try this if you have a DS.

Addendum: if you don't like the voices, and you have a loader, then you can swap the English dub for the Japanese voices while retaining the English text.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Re: The World Ends With You

Post by AuraTwilight »

Played this game and loved it. It's like "Cookies & Creme" meets "Mother 3" meets CLAMP with an aftertaste of cocaine.
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

Just got this game myself. I'm enjoying it so far, but it's hard to focus on the details on two screens at once :D
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Head... paining... so confusing...

Too many things going on at once. So hard to keep track of what's going on. But it's so engrossing!

I'm getting really sick of having to navigate the inventory screens though. It suffers from the "too-much-crap" syndrome ala Oblivion.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

funny enough was playing this for the first time just a few hours ago.

can be abit confusing with the "dual" play thing with the controls and stylus thing.

but i guess it's okay...
but mostly been playing geometry war galaxy and so far my favourite, professor layton, which i just downloaded.

heh. gotta love the cross-the-river-with-wolf-&-chicken puzzle.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Finally beat the game. It's frigging hard. The ending fights are like some kind of demented lunatic battles. Not too hard though, and the difficulty is very customizable. I ended up playing on hard at the highest drop rate because I'm a sadist.

Ending... is kinda okay I guess. Wish they elaborated more.

The story is some sort of anti-emo thing. It was probably developed with the idea that youths are committing suicide way too much these days (not like I have a problem with that). They even make references to it, such as in the bonus scenario, the main character goes, "no... emo... side... appearing... think happy thoughts!"

Heh.
BillyC
Astral Realm

Post by BillyC »

So I've got characters to Level Star (aka 100)...playing on Ultimate, got Joshua to 999 bravery, killing everyone, all the Dark Planets...

Pin mastery 60%
Noise index 100%
Item collection 92%
ESP'er Rank B

I just NEED to get 100 of everything! GAH!!!!!

Oh, a secret I found: press L and R on the Save screen to see your total play time...
Mine's like 73 hours.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

i heard fun and infamous stuff about this game though i will probably never will play this game.

baka baka baka
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

You have got to be kidding me.. This isn't a game.. It's torture!!

But it's fun though, and the challenges actually give a more fresh feel.

I just wish I was the one who had it.. >.> (Played at friend's house.)
Muffinman
Astral Realm

Post by Muffinman »

It's not too bad. The overall story at the start of the game didn't really pull me in, and at times I found it hard to navigate both screens at once. Well Back to Ace Attorney then :)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

i think i gonna download a ds emulator and find this game

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

been a long while, thread was revived, but i would say the game is good... had plenty of fun with it, so you will probably enjoy it as much as i did... but still... was it necessary to revive this thread? ~.~
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!

Return to “Games & Computing”