Gentsuki (<50cc) License in Japan

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gentsuki (<50cc) License in Japan

Post by b0mb3r »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:My dad who took advanced driving lessons in the force taught me, I easily aced the license tests, have yet to get into a collision, and have avoided a few possible collisions with the things I learned (and with the help of a thankfully agile car). I'm working on my motorcycle license next. And a manual transmission is the way to go, unless you have kids.
the garness returns with father as extra spices

baka baka baka
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Gentsuki (<50cc) License in Japan

Post by Krikit »

@joay_b
1. (all questions) "Gentsuki vehicle" means scooters, mopeds, and bicycles fitted with motors right?
2. (Q5) What does the left sign mean? A combination "no right turn" and "no passing/crossing" for scooters?
3. (Q17) Are speed limits for scooters (or any two-wheeled vehicle) even lower than those for three or four-wheeled vehicles?
1: Yes and no. Gentsuki does mean scooters, mopeds, bicycles, etc fitted with motors, but as question 24 of practice exam 2 says, (not in the pdf file from the previous link):
With a Gentsuki License, you can drive a 90cc two wheeled vehicle.
False. With a Gentsuki License, you can only drive a Gentsuki Vehicle that has an engine displacement of 50cc or less.
As for Question 5, the sign you see is "special" to gentsuki motorists. If you take out the diagonal slash, then the sign tells gentsuki motorists that they must make a two-step right turn. This turn is really strange. Pretty much, in three lane roads, or if you are in a lane where you can only turn left or go straight, you can go into the intersection, and stop in front of the traffic to your left, and wait for that traffic light to go green. Then you can go straight, which is pretty much how you make a right turn the hard way. With the diagonal through it, the sign then means that that kind of turn is prohibited in that location. Here is a more detailed example: (you have to scroll down a bit for the image:)

http://www.takamagahara.info/2006/0408

As for questions 15, all vehicles have the same speed limit as the road. However, on a gentsuki vehicle, the Maximum speed you can drive at, is 30km/h. So if the sign said 20km/h, or 30km/h, you are fine. But if it says 40km/h, you legally can't exceed 30km/h on a gentsuki, so that question is true.

Return to “Commune”