Kemono no Souja Erin

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

I might try translating this
No votes
Yes
95%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
5%

Total votes: 37

Onichan
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Kemono no Souja Erin

Post by Onichan »

English Name: The Beast Player Erin
Genres: Drama and Fantasy
Volumes: 4
Author: Nahoko Uehashi
Publisher: Kodansha Ltd.
Kemono no Souja Erin is about a young woman who is drawn into a war between kingdoms.
10-year-old Erin is a young girl who lives with her mother in the Tai Koh Region in the small Village of Ake. She has a big love for animals, especially the Touda, dragon-like creatures used in the war.
Her mother Soyon was originally of the Mist People, an ancient clan who have members with green hair and eyes, and is rumored to follow in the ancient ways, practice magic, and hide in the mist.
But despite her genealogy, they stay in the village because Erin's late father was the son of the village chief and Soyon is the head Touda doctor.
First two volumes have been adapted into an anime (Aired in 2009), but there isn't any news of adapting the last two. There also isn't any information about an official translation of the novels.

I watched the anime a while back and loved it. I have heard the novel is a bit darker than the adaption and that the last two volumes are quite dark as well. I have the RAWs as well if they are needed.

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Re: Kemono no Souja Erin

Post by Rohan123 »

Is that pic from the anime or a LN illustration?
Onichan
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Onichan »

It's from the anime. The raw's I have don't have any real art in them.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Onichan wrote:It's from the anime. The raw's I have don't have any real art in them.
Well, I see. It would be better to somehow get your hands on some LN illustrations and add them to the opening post instead of the anime pic, since this is a request to get the LN translated after all.
mada
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by mada »

:D
Yay! One of my favorite animes. I didn't know that there is a topic/thread about it here. Hmm, about the story, can someone tell me about the coverage in comparison to the anime? Is it covered all the 50 episodes of the anime just by the first two volume of the book? And, what is the meaning of this,
Onichan wrote:I have heard the novel is a bit darker than the adaption and that the last two volumes are quite dark as well.
?
Spoiler! :
Is it more heartbreaking than the anime and involve tragic events more than what happened in the anime(or the first two volumes)? Like another deaths of her friends/family or another evil plot and conspiracy by another character/villain? I just hope it ended with a happy ending, just like the bond (of friendship?) between Lilan and Erin that break the barrier separating beast and human, that helped them overcome the dire situation, and shown it to Shunan and Simiya, two people from different background trying to reach one another to solve the turmoil between the two power (Grand Duke's and Queen's).
Last edited by Rohan123 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tag.
Greetings! And my apologies due to my bad English.

-mada desu
Onichan
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Onichan »

I heard it's darker because
Spoiler! :
There wasn't much comedic relief. I don't think Nukku and Mokku even exist in the LN and I think John didn't tell jokes and such.
Also because the 2nd half is even worse
Spoiler! :
There isn't a happy ending, just more death.
Shiratori
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shiratori »

Yes, please, please, I want to read this!

I wish I knew Japanese :(
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
DarkD1
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DarkD1 »

I say no unless the translator is willing to skip the parts that have already been animated. The anime was terrific, I don't see a need to redo something that was already amazing. We need to stop redoing things which have good anime for them. There are plenty of things which don't even have anime for them yet which are great and haven't been translated at all. I really detest this habit we have of only translating something after its had an anime released for it, especially when the project is dropped before the point where the anime left off in the first place.
Shiratori
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shiratori »

DarkD1 wrote:I say no unless the translator is willing to skip the parts that have already been animated. The anime was terrific, I don't see a need to redo something that was already amazing. We need to stop redoing things which have good anime for them. There are plenty of things which don't even have anime for them yet which are great and haven't been translated at all. I really detest this habit we have of only translating something after its had an anime released for it, especially when the project is dropped before the point where the anime left off in the first place.
Oh, but I would only read if it was the whole thing. Well, maybe I'd make an exception in this case since I really want to know what happens to Erin (even if it's something really depressing), but I'd rather have the complete LN. :wink: First, because I would need to refresh the anime story. Secondly, I bet there are some differences in the LN that could cause some hard to understand situations later.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
myuushii
Astral Realm

Post by myuushii »

DarkD1 wrote:I say no unless the translator is willing to skip the parts that have already been animated. The anime was terrific, I don't see a need to redo something that was already amazing. We need to stop redoing things which have good anime for them. There are plenty of things which don't even have anime for them yet which are great and haven't been translated at all. I really detest this habit we have of only translating something after its had an anime released for it, especially when the project is dropped before the point where the anime left off in the first place.
The anime only covers two of the four novels. And there are enough differences to to warrant the translation, the anime made some changes and was directed for children.
bokusenou
Astral Realm

Post by bokusenou »

It's not exactly a translation, but there's a translation game involving Kemono no Souja here: http://gaiwa.proboards.com/thread/20/re ... a-advanced
It's for Japanese practice, so there's some parts where people stop and discuss the right way to translate grammar points, etc, but if someone really wants to read the novels, they're welcome to follow along.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”