Translation poll

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Translation poll

Post by zzhk »

I think some people really have the wrong idea when they think there is some kind of collective decision made here on what gets translated. There is no "we", just a bunch of individual translators who do what they enjoy, as best as they could.

I highly doubt there is some conscious conspiracy to leave Accel World untranslated. If some people wonder why more translators haven't pitched in to speed things up, the answer is simple -- capable translators are most likely occupied with their existing projects.

So the proper thing to do is to either attract new translators who don't have existing commitments, or patiently wait for (an) existing translator(s) to finish what's on their plate first.

Ultimately, all it takes to get a translation project to progress regularly is one dedicated and able translator with sufficient time on their hands. This is largely an individual effort, hence expecting public opinion to sway volunteer work is just impractical.
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

Oh well... Pretty sad to see muv out... I was expecting something like Oda, Muv, Hagure and FMP in the top 4... I believe that now Teh ping will never take Accel? And Code? Anyway... It seems that now my only hope is a translator who likes muv huh... Oh well... Oda... Hagure... 2/4... It's fine xD
Ah Hey... Teh ping just curiosity but what kind of novel you like to translate? Someone told me that you don't like ecchis?
chad001
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by chad001 »

Studart wrote:Oh well... Pretty sad to see muv out... I was expecting something like Oda, Muv, Hagure and FMP in the top 4... I believe that now Teh ping will never take Accel? And Code? Anyway... It seems that now my only hope is a translator who likes muv huh... Oh well... Oda... Hagure... 2/4... It's fine xD
Ah Hey... Teh ping just curiosity but what kind of novel you like to translate? Someone told me that you don't like ecchis?
Problem with MuvLuv? DAT ENDING. Just... DAT ENDING.
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

DAT ENDING... Hm sorry...But what "dat" means... Good? Bad? Sorry ~.~
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

DAT means probably the same as "the"?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by florza »

Dat = That.

It's slang.
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by Midchuria »

zzhk wrote:I think some people really have the wrong idea when they think there is some kind of collective decision made here on what gets translated. There is no "we", just a bunch of individual translators who do what they enjoy, as best as they could.

I highly doubt there is some conscious conspiracy to leave Accel World untranslated. If some people wonder why more translators haven't pitched in to speed things up, the answer is simple -- capable translators are most likely occupied with their existing projects.

So the proper thing to do is to either attract new translators who don't have existing commitments, or patiently wait for (an) existing translator(s) to finish what's on their plate first.

Ultimately, all it takes to get a translation project to progress regularly is one dedicated and able translator with sufficient time on their hands. This is largely an individual effort, hence expecting public opinion to sway volunteer work is just impractical.
This.

More often than not, people are so entitled they expect summaries and translations handed to them on a silver platter, forgetting that volunteer translators aren't obliged to do so at all. It's all done on goodwill, folks, and some people just take goodwill for granted. They just like it so much they're willing to translate it to a language you can understand, just so they can share the love and spread the interest (and helpfully encourage people to buying the author's work/s for encouragement and support)!

Either chill out and stay cool, or learn the language yourself. If you're that passionate about a certain title/s, then you can put that passion into good use! You might even be able to help out with translations yourself once you've learned enough.
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

AH..."That" I see... heh... Oh well... The 8 projects he choose for the FB...Only Accel and FMP are +- so... I still believe that one day someone will translate muv and hagure...
It's boring when they think it's your obligation to translate something... right? Just send then to hell
I'm not the only one who thinks it would be good to see teh_ping with FMP and Code with Hagure/Muv (Oda=Akuma) am I? Please understand that I'm only talking about what I think it would be like "perfect" BUT I'm not asking or something like this!
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

KuroiHikari wrote:Accel World - 321
Oda Nobuna - 140
FMP - 92
Hagure - 90
------------------------------
Muv Luv - 80
Latest:
Accel World - 354
Oda Nobuna - 152
FMP - 102
Hagure - 97
------------------------------
Muv Luv - 85

Update for the sake of updating
latos1117
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by latos1117 »

Studart wrote:AH..."That" I see... heh... Oh well... The 8 projects he choose for the FB...Only Accel and FMP are +- so... I still believe that one day someone will translate muv and hagure...
It's boring when they think it's your obligation to translate something... right? Just send then to hell
I'm not the only one who thinks it would be good to see teh_ping with FMP and Code with Hagure/Muv (Oda=Akuma) am I? Please understand that I'm only talking about what I think it would be like "perfect" BUT I'm not asking or something like this!
Lol do not worry if by 2years from now no one still hasn't translated them ill try them myself, still in the process of learning but might make it. and well i agree the translator are the ones doing the work so i don't know why people seem like they are obligated to do what they want???
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

(If its to me) Hey I'm not saying they should do this or that... Just saying my dearest wish ~.~ If someone thinks the translators are slaves or something like that... Just stop the translations to see if they are so "macho"... They only understand when they take a punch like no translations... If someone would act like that with me... Oh well... It would be bad for them... ~I'm a translator of english to another language heh~
I also wish to learn Japanese... It's just a question of entering a University and gogo
loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by loliDragon »

Studart wrote:Oh well... Pretty sad to see muv out... I was expecting something like Oda, Muv, Hagure and FMP in the top 4... I believe that now Teh ping will never take Accel? And Code? Anyway... It seems that now my only hope is a translator who likes muv huh... Oh well... Oda... Hagure... 2/4... It's fine xD
Am not sure about all the MuvLuv franchise, however Schwarzesmarken is being translated and actually in process of being added to the BT collective.

This might motivate other translators to pick up the Total Eclipse or the original novels ^^
latos1117
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by latos1117 »

Studart wrote:(If its to me) Hey I'm not saying they should do this or that... Just saying my dearest wish ~.~ If someone thinks the translators are slaves or something like that... Just stop the translations to see if they are so "macho"... They only understand when they take a punch like no translations... If someone would act like that with me... Oh well... It would be bad for them... ~I'm a translator of english to another language heh~
I also wish to learn Japanese... It's just a question of entering a University and gogo
Well i know what you mean with that but i guess some just have a hard time understanding something like this. And well i recommend you to try to learn it i mean is not that difficult when it comes to the hiragana and katakana but the kanji is something i am actually struggling with. :?
loliDragon wrote: Am not sure about all the MuvLuv franchise, however Schwarzesmarken is being translated and actually in process of being added to the BT collective.

This might motivate other translators to pick up the Total Eclipse or the original novels ^^
Well that is actually great new just hope it actually gets more people motivated towards this project.
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

I started to learn hiragana... It was easy... I fear the kanjis ahsuhauhshua
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by Midchuria »

More power to whichever titles get picked, and I seriously mean it.

It's just that, personally speaking, it's a shame that 魔弾の王と戦姫 (Madan no Ou to Vanadis) is nowhere even near the top 4. It's a great series, just not as known or popular compared to titles with anime hype to back them up. Less predictable/exasperating ecchi hijinks compared to other harem series (although the publishers seem to be pushing for more...), a very likable hero, easily comprehensible political situations/maneuverings but with very real and immediate stakes for the characters involved (no vague world-ending threats), and a complete lack of shounen power levels/last minute power ups or cheesy "power of friendship triumph everything!" elements make it so very worthwhile and engaging. I'm definitely not campaigning for this series out of self-interest as I can read the LNs just fine, it's just personally depressing to see it ranked so low.

I could also say the same for Black Bullet. That one definitely needs more love as well. Just think of how Rentarou or Enju are feeling right now, especially after Volume 4 was just released!

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”