Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku for PSP

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku Project(PSP)

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

I am TUNA From SOS-Dan.com
Translation project for this game....
it has been discussed and I am now sure that this project can be done....

Basic overview of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku, which is Promise of Suzumiya Haruhi (This is a offical PSP game of Haruhi)
Suzumiya Haruhi’s first game, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku (The Promise of Haruhi Suzumiya) as, “The Kitakousai festival was coming up at school, but the members of SOS were running around making the movie out of Haruhi’s idea. What happened at this busy time of the members? Taking place in the back stage that wasn’t shown in the anime, players are able to enjoy the original story of the game. The secret that leads to the TV anime is now revealed!!”

The PSP game is an interactive novel with spot animations and voice acting that's provided by the actors from the animated series. Players take on the role of Kyon and engage in various interactions with the main cast members and read the conversations that ensue. Although the story in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku is based on the "The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi," the scenarios and overall material are new and written exclusively for the game. Multiple endings are also possible depending on the actions that one takes over the course of the game. In addition to the interactive experience, a number of mini-games are also playable at certain junctures including a simple beach volleyball diversion. Bandai touts a new "Motion Portrait" technology that's used in the game where lifelike facial expressions are imbued on the characters so that they appear to be "living" renditions of the heroines we've grown to adore.

...you can import them from play asia or some other place that will import em..
now that overview is done, some of the qoutes from our fourm

a guy from our fourms has done a first three sentence hacks into the game and did some basic translation....
'By the way, here's some screens of what I've done. Not the most impressive thing in the world, but more or less proof of concept and all that.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9615/snap005or9.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9702/snap006zu8.jpg
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/202/snap007wx3.jpg
and he also said this...
I've done my own poking around of the innards of the game, and it's definately translatable with very little effort. There is a directory called \PSP_GAME\USRDIR\data\script in which there are exactly 640 files with an extension of .DAT. These are lightly encrypted files with about 90% Japanese text. This is all of the messagebox text in the game. It's directly editable with a hex editor, but you have to take extra care to make sure you don't make the file bigger than it actually is, or it will crash your PSP, as I found out earlier.

I used Google translate to get a gist of the first three sentences after starting a new game, and plugged in my interpretation into the files. It worked great, with one glaring exception: The font, while completely readable and nearly perfect without any corruption, is slightly too wide, therefore warranting a font hack/replacement.

tl;dr: It's not TOO hard to hack this, but it would require at least one seasoned Yuki and a few translators willing to put in the time to translate a novel (or two) worth of text.
yup...it is totally possilbe and if it's done it would make life much easier for people like me who own the game in japanese.

So maybe It can get started in Baka-Tsuki? because i've heard of Rumors of people starting their own project but they are all rubbish. Start the offical english fan translation :D.

P.S I don't know why but my sig came out huge....if anyone complains i will fix it. And i will enjoy this fourm
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

This sounds like a very interesting project! And I don't even own a PSP!
It's directly editable with a hex editor, but you have to take extra care to make sure you don't make the file bigger than it actually is, or it will crash your PSP, as I found out earlier.
That would be the biggest hurdle right there, methinks. To find a translation that fits the existing byte length without losing too much meaning... probably require a lot of abbreviations.

Well, based on the uniqueness alone I'd say let's go for it... I'm sure onizuka-gto will be by shortly to chime in as well, and if he agrees I can hook you up. The only tripping point is if the game is licensed for English distribution.

One word of caution: You have to supply your own translators. We don't have a pool of translators sitting around doing nothing (though the ones we have certainly do sit around :P ) so we can't provide "staff" for projects, just hosting and management.
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

you know, i just sold my psp on ebay last week.

dammit. daaaammmmittt!!

anyway, i like the idea. (anything with haruhi is welcomed here)

But everything smidge mention still stands.

we can certainly help host the scripts and provide the means get everyone to collaborate together.

im sure there are some "kinks" to work out, but as long as you can extract the Japanese raws out, we got something to work with.

:wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

hehe I got my psp today.

So we've got a guy working on it ( he says its for fun and it should be fun ne?)

he would need some help though

for extracting the raws i asked.

this is his project site

http://babazoz.wordpress.com/
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I'm down for helping out when I have some free time. I'm not a translator, but I do have programming experience. Just wish I hadn't gotten rid of my PSP. :?
Babazoz
Astral Realm

Post by Babazoz »

Hey there.

Well, the responses so far have been pretty much positive on this, and seeing as how so far, it's just me, I'm open to anyone willing to chip in towards it, even if it's only just a little.

As far as the byte order goes, from my initial experimenting with the script files, it appears that the current font will allow 30+ characters on each line for 3 lines. I was actually going to Google translate the first chapter (MotionPortrait sequences as well) just as a test to see how much tweaking around has to be done.

Licensing issues are a factor, I agree, however, if this does get released, it would be released as a PPF patch, and not the entire ISO.

Like I said, any translation or programming help would be greatly appreciated. Especially the latter, due to some problems I'm running into with the executable.

Thanks again for your two cents, folks. :)
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I'm pretty handy with a hex editor, but my overall programming knowledge is more focused towards data crunching applications and web apps, so I'm not sure how much help I can offer there without knowing exactly what's involved.

A project like this seems like a slightly less ambitious version of the CLANNAD project. About how many lines of dialog are there, in your estimation? Just trying to get an idea of scope...
=Smidge=
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

hahaha Babazoz you joined this fourm as well! thats awsome.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I can also help with grammar checking as well as shortening phrases to fit the box requirements.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Babazoz wrote:Hey there.

Well, the responses so far have been pretty much positive on this, and seeing as how so far, it's just me, I'm open to anyone willing to chip in towards it, even if it's only just a little.

As far as the byte order goes, from my initial experimenting with the script files, it appears that the current font will allow 30+ characters on each line for 3 lines. I was actually going to Google translate the first chapter (MotionPortrait sequences as well) just as a test to see how much tweaking around has to be done.

Licensing issues are a factor, I agree, however, if this does get released, it would be released as a PPF patch, and not the entire ISO.

Like I said, any translation or programming help would be greatly appreciated. Especially the latter, due to some problems I'm running into with the executable.

Thanks again for your two cents, folks. :)
licencing is certainly a factor, but considering the rate of minor games such as Haruhi im fairly certain that it;l lbe a while for it to be brought over to any English country.

As for patches, it is a policy of ours not to host any "questionable" files, so if you indeed wish to make this into an English patch for the Japanese game, then you will have to find your own place to host the files.

Anything to do with the text is game.

:)

And i agree, this project sounds far more simple then clannad project, i'll have to think about it, if we have to host another project like that.

well im not a programmer nor a translator, so i think we just need to get those script and find a willing translator and it will be good to go.

I'll suggest to wait until we get anything before opening a wiki page for it, but for the record, current people involved are:

Babazoz - PSP game Yuki/programmer

TUNAFISHISGOOD - ??

Anyone else interested in helping out please put your name down for now.

thanks.

:)

P.S: hmm.....saw the thread on sos-dan forum, seems like there a number of haruhi-tasty pictures.

i want to put them pu on the wiki already!

hmmm..

tunaisgood, you think you can send over all the pictures from the psp game to me?

:P
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Babazoz
Astral Realm

Post by Babazoz »

Smidge204 wrote:I'm pretty handy with a hex editor, but my overall programming knowledge is more focused towards data crunching applications and web apps, so I'm not sure how much help I can offer there without knowing exactly what's involved.

A project like this seems like a slightly less ambitious version of the CLANNAD project. About how many lines of dialog are there, in your estimation? Just trying to get an idea of scope...
=Smidge=
I can't really say, because I haven't looked at all of the files yet, but bear this in mind: There are over 640 .DAT files for the script, ranging in size up to 4K. The whole game seems incredibly easy to hack, but the sheer amount of text balances that out.

ALSO! I found this out last night while struggling with translating system messages and names. There is apparently a debug mode. Apparently it allows for level select and all kinds of stuff. Damned if I know how to access it, though.
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

onizuka-gto wrote:
Babazoz wrote:

tunaisgood, you think you can send over all the pictures from the psp game to me?

:P
...did you want snapshots from the game? you can get them in the following link

http://www.savefile.com/files/1299326
i don't know much about hacking psps...i just got my first psp..
i am almost useless when it comes to japanese (I know some)
All i can help is spreading the project and recruiting helpers...
of course i don't know if i can actually help until i actually try hacking the psp. (by the looks of it so far, it dosen't look that hard)
ikarsik
Astral Realm

Post by ikarsik »

I have a basic script ready. There is still a tiny bit more to add, but its around 85% complete. I just need to fix an error in the extractor, and then maybe sort the dialogue back into the order it was in the file.

So yeah, if anyone is maybe interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ymygvten33

its a text file encoded in shift JIS
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

so all you need to do is replace the Japanese words in this text to English words? while keeping filesize in check?

that sounds like it can be done by someone fluent in Japanese.
i think useing google translator is wack, sometimes words translated doesn't make sence.

hehehe I'll go ask my Japanese class teacher. Translating this can be extra activity.
Babazoz
Astral Realm

Re: .

Post by Babazoz »

TUNAFISHISGOOD wrote:so all you need to do is replace the Japanese words in this text to English words? while keeping filesize in check?

that sounds like it can be done by someone fluent in Japanese.
i think useing google translator is wack, sometimes words translated doesn't make sence.

hehehe I'll go ask my Japanese class teacher. Translating this can be extra activity.
Not as easy as it sounds.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”