Project Plea : Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

"Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?"

"Yes"
99%
"Not Really (Please give a reason)"
1%
"No (Please give a reason)"
1%

Total votes: 369

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Project Plea : Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

kira0802 wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I am not sure about that...? I think the licensed novels are mainly based in TW than in China? So I am not too sure of the popularity of the licensed Chinese LNs in China, and 1/100 is too high an approximation.
Then 1/1000? There would still be 1,5 million of people.

Actually, Mainland people don't bother order them. They simply read it online. :D
Thats one, another problem would be the age group that would even be interested, that might probably take 50% of the population off the list, if not more
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

In fact, I already considered the age when I said 1/1000.

The problem is that you won't see anyone saying openly that they like to read LNs. Sometimes, you have a LN-lover beside you, but he is scared that he would be rejected. Mantas are another story, but buying LN makes people think that you're an otaku.

I think we have already had this discussion once...oh well.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ShadowZeroHeart

kira0802 wrote:In fact, I already considered the age when I said 1/1000.

The problem is that you won't see anyone saying openly that they like to read LNs. Sometimes, you have a LN-lover beside you, but he is scared that he would be rejected. Mantas are another story, but buying LN makes people think that you're an otaku.

If we are talking about mere reading, maybe that can fit, or u can raise it to 1/100

but considering we are limiting to Japanese LN, i think it should not be that high, but i nvr conducted a study, so i wont know for sure, and its definitely off-topic, so I suggest we stick back to topic, what happened to this project?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

kira0802 wrote:The problem is that you won't see anyone saying openly that they like to read LNs. Sometimes, you have a LN-lover beside you, but he is scared that he would be rejected. Mantas are another story, but buying LN makes people think that you're an otaku.

I never tell anyone in the real world I buy/read light novels. I simply don't find the reason to bombard everyone around me with niche stuff that only I would enjoy. This hasn't affected my buying habit a single bit, though. (Btw I read light novels openly in the public: on trains and in the campus. No one would give a damn if you just add a cheap 100 yen book cover on top of your novel.)

I guess the same applies to light novel readers in China too. Right now people are not worrying that the business would crash due to the lack of demand, but rather, whether the highly positive market response would encourage the few licensed publishers in China to take more risks and licenses then they can handle.

Piracy is a problem, but it is almost part of the life and the cost of any business in China. Most of the pirated light novels are just printed fan translations on poor quality paper. The licensed publishers fight against them by offering professional translations on good paper, at a highly competitive price and often with bonus gifts. They also have to ensure that books are released on schedule instead of just sitting on the licenses (tokyopop...) . People don't give a damn to licenses and will promptly turn to the pirated versions if the waiting time is slightly long.

In Japan, only 5% of all the anime audience are BD/DVD buyers, but the industry nevertheless thrives on it, supporting tens of thousands of workers and their families.

It is safe to say that it is pretty much the same for the light novel industry in China, with maybe only 5% of the fan translation readers or less buying licensed novels but the licensed publishers already have a healthy profit. The difference is that there are lots of upward potential in China, with the novels being priced at a level accessible to students, unlike Japan where anime BDs are clearly marketed as luxury goods and the mature market has close to zero growth potential.

Also, the consumption power of the young Chinese otakus, mostly early 20s in college, will only increase when they graduate. In China, you can never get $1 out of the pockets of 1.3 billion people (unless you were the government :roll: ). But as long as you can consistently get $10 out of the 1% of the population that both fits in your niche market and is willing to pay, your business will still be a great success.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:but considering we are limiting to Japanese LN, i think it should not be that high, but i nvr conducted a study, so i wont know for sure,
The Kadokawa China spokesman expected that the latest Haruhi novel alone will have a figure of over 50k. Maybe not that ground-breaking, but considering that the top novel of the year sells only around 300k, and Haruhi is not the only light novel, it is not too bad.

Assume that most light novel readers have heard of and are interested in Haruhi, and also no casual buyer is involved (who will buy the last volume without reading the previous one), the effective market size consisting of readers willing to pay is likely around 50-60k. If the Western rule of 20% paying for 80%, then the total light novel readership in China is around 250k. If the Japanese anime market rule of 5% paying applies instead, then the total readership is around 1 million.
so I suggest we stick back to topic, what happened to this project?
I'd certainly love to see the translation, but sometimes I wonder if project requests and polls in these forums are of any use, regardless of the number of votes each request may get. Fan translation is after all a voluntary effort. With neither carrot nor stick, no one can dictate what project a translator should work on, except the translator himself.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Well, in fact, I just wonder where did the translator go.
Kira0802

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

The polls have normaly no real meaning they are just indicators how popular a project could get and thus maybe motivate a translator to contribute if he thinks his efforts will be rewarded with many readers ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
APN
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by APN »

wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

APN wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ime-season
It's cool to see that. Still I want to see the LN translated because we don't have to wait for the 2nd season then. We can just read it.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

APN wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ime-season
Is it surprising? Not at all.. After all, it's one of my favorites. :D
Kira0802

wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

kira0802 wrote:In fact, I already considered the age when I said 1/1000.

I have to ask what's so strange about admitting you like to read light novels? They're literally just novels with the occasional picture in them. Other than the cover art, and the occasional picture, there's really nothing someone can claim is "weaboo" or whatever about it.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

In fact, it's just fear that the society rejects you. Though it's more an illusion.
Kira0802

ShadowZeroHeart

kira0802 wrote:In fact, it's just fear that the society rejects you. Though it's more an illusion.
Well, not too sure about you. But in my case, its just that what I like does not mean what others like, and there is no point forcing my interest on others?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

I'm praying that a translator shows up soon to translate this series. It's really funny, i watched a few episodes of the anime and i laughed till my stomach ached.

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
DragoZERO
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DragoZERO »

I wish the guys who are doing Hidan no Aria liked this. They are doing a really great job.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I do like this series.

I've taken a break from translating altogether.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”