Muv-Luv Alternative – Total Eclipse

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

"Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?"

"Yes"
100%
"Not Really (Please give a reason)"
0%
"No (Please give a reason)"
0%

Total votes: 625

loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Muv-Luv Alternative – Total Eclipse

Post by loliDragon »

Guest wrote:I just thought that if anyone is interested in knowing more about Total Eclipse in particular (as opposed to Muv-Luv in general), there are official chapter by chapter (called 'volumes', but they're each a single chapter) summaries from the series' website along with a few sample illustrations for each chapter.

http://www.total-eclipse.jp/te/story01.html
Nice, but still kind of lacks a lot...

It would be great to translate that properly as a teaser, since Google Translate does not do such a great job
d34thw1ng wrote:oooh i found on some sites that there is a pc version O.o
Do you mind sharing the link? I did not find that anywhere...
Darklor wrote:Btw. what is the storyline? What are the differences between the books and the VN? How was the VN?

Hm; is it like Gundam?
VN for Total Eclipse is not out yet
Story line.... the story is very close to what you can see in the anime.... try watching it. :wink:
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

loliDragon wrote:Story line.... the story is very close to what you can see in the anime.... try watching it.
Not in the week when I am online only with an Internet-stick and at the weekends I usually prefer to do other things than watch anime series - btw. I would have to watch so many series - I fear to begin ;) - havent seen anime in "ages" :( (not enough free time and the weekends are already short enough... :()
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

You could probably read the summary posted earlier, then. :)
loliDragon

Post by loliDragon »

Darklor wrote:
loliDragon wrote:Story line.... the story is very close to what you can see in the anime.... try watching it.
Not in the week when I am online only with an Internet-stick and at the weekends I usually prefer to do other things than watch anime series - btw. I would have to watch so many series - I fear to begin ;) - havent seen anime in "ages" :( (not enough free time and the weekends are already short enough... :()
Guest is right, since you are a translator I presume you can read Japanese... HERE is good summary, you get the idea of the plot from there.

Just to get you a bit interested check out the spoiler...
Spoiler! :
Extended Synopsis

In 1973, the invasion of an extra terrestrial life form, the BETA, began a war that has driven mankind to the brink of extinction. In an attempt to counter the BETA’s overwhelming strength in numbers, mankind has developed the humanoid weapons known as TSFs, deploying them on the front lines of their Anti-BETA War all across the globe. However, mankind still lost the majority of Eurasia to the superior numbers of the marching BETA. For nearly 30 years mankind has remained bogged down in its struggle against the BETA with no hope in sight.

In 2001, development of next-generation TSFs has become a problem for Imperial Japan, who sustains the front lines on the Far-East. As a solution, the UN proposed a US-Japan joint TSF refurbishment plan as part of their “Prominence Project”. Yui Takamura, a member of the Imperial Royal Guard, is placed in charge of this project and heads to Alaska. Meanwhile, Yuuya Bridges, a young soldier in the US Army, makes his way for Alaska as well.

Little did either of them know that their encounter would forever change their destinies.
This story with exciting human dramas and robot actions takes place in the development of a new Tactical Surface Fighters, the most important and effective weapons against BETA, at a crisis of human extinction.

Story Background

As mankind continues their struggle against the BETA overrunning Earth, the TSF development project continues to advance amongst conflicting national interests.

The BETA (Beings of Extra Terrestrial origin Adverse to the human race) are an unknown life-form first discovered on Mars in 1958. Ever since first contact on the surface of the moon in 1967, they have been attempting to exterminate the human race.

When the BETA first began their invasion of Earth, mankind had no effective means of resistance and was forced to retreat. Now, in 2001, most of Eurasia is occupied by the BETA. The Anti-BETA Defense Line deployed around Eurasia barely manages to hold back major invasions by depleting the BETA population at regular intervals. However, even that comes at the cost of many lives.

Despite the crisis, individual nations still try to further their own interests instead of cooperating. To force them to work together, the UN proposed the “Prominence Project”, a project to develop advanced tactical surface fighters based on the combined technology of its member nations. As part of this proposal, Japan and American began their “XFJ Project”, a collaborative project aiming to update their existing TSFs.

About the Mechanics

One of the biggest threats the BETA pose to mankind is the “Laser Class” BETA, a strain capable of instantly shooting down aircraft with a powerful laser, which renders our air superiority useless. To combat this threat, mankind attempted to develop ground forces that possessed the same mobility as aircraft. The results of these efforts were the TSFs (Tactical Surface Fighter). These new weapons serve as the core of mankind’s Anti-BETA tactics, and continue to be developed as our only sword against the BETA.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

loliDragon wrote: Guest is right, since you are a translator I presume you can read Japanese... HERE is good summary, you get the idea of the plot from there.
You're assumption is wrong - I am occasionally an English - German translator - never Japanese since that is a language I don't understand...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
loliDragon

Post by loliDragon »

Darklor wrote: You're assumption is wrong - I am occasionally an English - German translator - never Japanese since that is a language I don't understand...
^^ I see, well then you can try reading the summary I posted above or do a Google translate of that page, ether way even if god will forgive you for not at least trying to read it, I will not :lol:
Erakk
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Erakk »

Here I am hoping this gets some attention... after SAO, this is second on my personal ranking.
In theory, practice and theory are the same.
but, practically, they arent.
Kouma
Kyonist

Post by Kouma »

But this novel is just a spin-off from the original series, right? Have to read Muv-Luv Alternative first to understand the plot?
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Kouma wrote:But this novel is just a spin-off from the original series, right? Have to read Muv-Luv Alternative first to understand the plot?
I dont think so, because Total Eclipse is a side-story about test pilots in Yukon Base, Alaska developing prototype TSFs. IIRC it doesnt have any direct relation with Muv Luv Alternative.

Though my friends who have read/played the original trilogy seems to enjoy Total Eclipse more than the ones who haven't.
daoquangduc
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by daoquangduc »

Is there anyone here?>>>? Hic .... I really want the light novel Muv-luv Alternative: Total Eclipse to be translated by Baka-Tsuki ..... But .... maybe ... no one wants to do, huh? If you guys have time, can you guys translate these perfect novels ? :( Japanese is hard... So you guys are really wonderfu to have the abiity to translate these novels?? Please, if anyone has any information ... Can you tell me, and the others here?
Thank you so much :) Arigato !!
Really appreciate if you guys consider this :)

I'm worried since no one has been here for a long time ... :(
Lovelan
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Lovelan »

Kouma wrote:But this novel is just a spin-off from the original series, right? Have to read Muv-Luv Alternative first to understand the plot?
Total Eclipse is considered a "prequel" to the Muv-Luv Alternative universe. Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv alternative are two different things. Alternative is a different timeline altogether. No you don't really need to play the game to watch or read Total Eclipse. You could and it would be helpful since it'd explain to what Beta really are. But the anime does a pretty good job.
Spoiler! :
Its called Alternative because essentially each time the MC goes back in time its different from he previously experience. In the Alternative timeline you have a Shogun named Mitsurugi Yuuhi (shows up in anime briefly) whose essentially Mitsurugi Meiya's (A main character in Muv-Luv and Alternative) sister. But in the original timeline she died. In the Muv-Luv verse Humans totally get owned by the beta. Time and time again. Yes its pretty much depressing.
Total Eclipse is more enjoyable since they focused more on human emotions. Not to mention the characters designs where pretty nice.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”